Less of Paige

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Leavin... In my little Honda...

(you're supposed to sing the title to the tune of Leavin... On a Jet Plane...)

Tomorrow I will get in my Honda and drive the 6+ hours to Rochester, NY. One of my closest friends is getting married. No, not this weekend, next September. But on Saturday, of this weekend, all of her bridesmaids and matrons of honor (which I am one of) will be getting together for a "ladies luncheon" to "get to know each other better" and then go pick out bridesmaids dresses.

Don't get me wrong, here. I love Amy to bits and pieces. As I said, she is one of my nearest and dearest. And I am thrilled and honored to be in the wedding, and to be a matron (I hate that word. Can I still be a maid, even though I'm married???) of honor. However, I don't want to go to Rochester. I don't want to have a ladies luncheon and I don't want to pick out bridesmaids dresses. Here are the issues: To go to Rochester I have to leave my husband. At what is inarguably the hardest time of the year for him. I hate leaving him period., much less at this time of year. I also have to leave my cat. I know, I know, I'm a big big wuss. But I love my husband and I love to be home. Flame on. Second, I don't do groups. Especially not groups of girls. For the most part, girls get on my nerves. There is a very special group of ladies who do not get on my nerves in a group. But they're different. And I know them, they're not strangers. I hate stranger girls. I hate having to be nice. Ugh. I'm such a bitch. So sue me. Also, from what my friend Amy tells me about some of these girls, and from what I've seen, well... I'm not so confident about liking some of them. Third, and last and then the whine is almost over: the bridesmaids dresses. See, I believe that picking them out will involve trying them on. And in case you haven't noticed, I'm a good 80 pounds more than I want to be next time I try something on. In public. With a group of girls. That I don't even like. Without the option of going home to drown my sorrows with my husband, cat, and some ice cream. Also, I hope to be much skinnier by the time the wedding rolls around. So I am loathe to try on dresses now. But I get why she wants us to. So of course I'll go, and be the awesome matron of honor that I am. I'll be missing my husband, my cat, and I'll be slightly uncomfortable, but I'll enjoy being with Amy.

I'm so excited she's getting married. Her and Jim make a really cute couple, and he's awesome with her. And she's waited for so long and been so patient. She so deserves this. I hope I can be a good maid, er, matron of honor.

Someday in the future look for a post about her bachelorette party. Trust me, it'll be good. I'm going to title it, "Less of Paige the Prude".

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, Paige, I completely feel your pain re: the issue of trying on dresses with strange girls in a group, and not having the option to go home and hibernate afterwards and bitch to your husband about how traumatizing it was. I hope the experience was better than you anticipated. If nothing else, you can be secure in the knowledge that you are a good friend. -Joanne

P.S. Er, what the heck is up with the previous two comments?? Can one receive spam in one's blog?? Is that even possible?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Paige said...

Joanne,
Thank you for the support! And YES, you can certainly get blog spam. Hideous, isn't it? I was shocked the first time that came up. I try to stay on top of deleting the spam... *sigh*... so much to do, so little time...
~Paige

 

Post a Comment

<< Home