Less of Paige

Monday, January 09, 2006

She's Leavin' On a Jet Plane...

Well, not actually leaving. And, um, it's more like in a red truck, not so much a jet plane. And as to the next line, I do know when she'll be back again...

But still, fitting to my mood.

I mentioned before that my mom might be moving to Kentucky. And she is. Sort of.

My stepfather is an Army Chaplain. Before the war, he was in the reserves. One weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. Cake, right? Well, until we went into war. And he spent a year or so in Iraq. He came home on medical leave. And since then things have been confusing... he can't get a job because he might have to work for the army, then he was looking for a job, then he got a job possibility in the army... Since my mom's been married to him, I've heard several time about how they might be moving here or there. Las Vegas, Colorado, Hawaii, New York, and Kentucky. So I got to the point where I just blew it off. Who cares, she's not actually gonna leave.

My mom and I are close. No, we don't see each other every day. We don't even talk to each other every day. We don't agree on everything. I don't always love what she does. But she is my mommy. When I moved home to Connecticut, I was happy to be closer to her. It's nice to have her righthere. Even if you don't need your mom all the time, it's nice to know she's there if you need her. And even if she's not perfect, she's around. And I love that.

So when it seemed imminent that she may be moving to Kentucky, I got upset. Because you know what? My mommy? Is going to be hours away by car or plane. I couldn't just drop by. She couldn't just come and take me to lunch. When we have kids, I can't just ask her to come over and help. She promises she's just a flight away, but to me, that's too far.

The deal now? Is something like: for four months, she'll be here for two weeks and there for two weeks. I think that's going to get Old. Fast. After four months, he'll await army orders and we'll all see what the next few years will bring.

In the meantime? I still feel like she's leavin' on a jet plane...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home