Less of Paige

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Lifetime

When you do Weight Watchers, they have something called a lifetime member. To be a lifetime member, you have to reach your goal, maintain it for six weeks, and voila! Lifetime member. It means you have to weigh in only once a month and have to stay within like a pound or two or something of your goal weight.

Why am I talking about WW when I don't do WW anymore, you wonder? Because of the point and what it means to me. I was thinking about how not so great I've done in the past week, foodwise. In the past, this would have quickly derailed ALL weight loss efforts. I would say, "eh. I messed up. I think I'll just take a 'break' from dieting that will last six months and cost me another 20-60 pounds".

This time it's different. I'm already a lifetime member. I haven't figured out all the details yet (read: holidays, eating out, and weekends), but I'm working on it. I really, really am. I know that in order to avoid some icky health problems, I have to change my outlook on food.

Forever. For a lifetime. Which kind of puts the screwups in perspective. As long as I maintain my lifetime membership, as long as I keep picking myself up, I think that I'll do ok. I might not lose weight as fast as I'd like. I might now be perfect. I might not do it right all the time. But as long as I keep going, I think I'll be ok. At some point (some point) I'll get to where I want to be. And do my best to stay there. But if I have the room to make mistakes, it's easier to conceive of doing this for a lifetime.

It's like in AA. They say, you're an alcoholic forever. Well, I'm a food addict. And so I need to claim that, and live the rest of my life accordingly. (Not in being a food addict, but living like I'm a recovering food addict.)

Lifetime. It's a long time. But for me? It's so important. There's no breaks. I have to accept who I am, and move on.

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Amy Witt said...

Hey girl, I am in the same boat. I too look at this from an AA point of view. "One day at a time. Try it for 90 days, and if you don't like it, we'll gladly refund your misery." I love the AA sayings and have applied them to my disease. It is great to have a sister who is a fellow traveler down this road. THanks.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, its me. Really and truly kiddo, these are His children to take at any time. He gives them to us, to train in His ways. That gives me peace, also I know He did something with Hannah's little life that is bigger than you or me; something we wont know about until we all get to Heaven

 

Post a Comment

<< Home